Children are our future. Education is power and is the key that unlocks the future. Most children in South Africa will not realise these two truths.
Connect, Learn, Transform
At Lesedi, we wish to change that and believe we can. It seems an impossible task, but as Mother Teresa of Calcutta said, “We cannot all do great things, but we can all do small things with great love.” We believe we cannot affect all children’s lives, but we can, with great love, affect those who are in our care.
We truly believe that despite the educational hand underprivileged learners have been dealt, they can make great strides in developing skills that will assist them in their schooling as well as in today’s work environment. We love them, believe in them and challenge them.
Lesedi: teaching differently
- We strive to develop high-level thinking, inhibitory control, working memory, cognitive diversity, problem solving, creativity, communication, collaboration, and self-confidence.
- We have adopted a Project Based Learning approach to give expression to the desire to produce 21st century skills, as we are unable to re-educate each child and fill in all the content gaps.
- We use experientially rich constructive play to challenge and inspire our learners, who range academically from grades 4-11 and in age from 9-21 years.
- Manipulatives are used such as Lego Educational Equipment, puzzles, physical games and educational toys from simple to elaborate; the Lego Mindstorm series (robotics) is also used.
- Reading Eggs and Lab-on-Line, web-based reading development programmes, that use perceptual development are used to improve English literacy and reading skills. Annually, we achieve a 20 to 35% average improvement in comprehension.