Why do we do this?
- Because the founders really believe:
- every person is of incalculable value and therefore need love and assistance, so that they can make more of their life.
- These kids in Drummond need love and assistance to make possible a different life expectation.
- That through consistently communicating love, commitment, patience, grace and dedication to the kids, they know they are valued and can improve their lives.
- For volunteers:
- Volunteers serve with a real desire to make a difference in the life of the disadvantaged.
- Lesedi offers a practical and relevant way for the Volunteers, to express their desire by giving of themselves.
- HeronBridge College fetches the learners from their community by HBC school bus.
- The day starts with register, devotion, and then the age groups are split up with volunteers and either start with Lab-on-Line or constructive activities.
- In the middle of the morning the kids are served a meal provided by church volunteers. (In the later session this order is reversed.)
- To achieve maximum engagement and feedback on how each child is coping we ensure enough volunteers each week, so that the students are taught in small groups.
- Our goal: learning as a by-product of engaged, enthusiastic play.
- Lego Foundation has partnered with us and we use their educational range of Our juniors use the Charity Boxes, 6 Bricks and Junior Mechanics sets (Grades 4 & 5), ‘Simple and Powered Machines’ are used by the intermediate age group (Grades 6 & 7, and Grades 8 & 9) and the ‘Lego Mindstorm’ (robotics) series by Grades 10 & 11.
- Many other manipulatives are integrated into the programme to keep things fresh and challenging.
- Through constructive play the kids learn language, communication, vocabulary, collaboration, presentation skills, math and science in practical, relevant and constructive ways.
- What is learned is then used to master new challenges and tasks, thus ensuring true learning and the mastery of key skills.
- Once a term we organize an outing or activity to enhance the students’ life Past events have included pool parties, attending the HeronBridge College major production and visits to the Johannesburg Zoo, Sci-bono and the Apartheid Museum.
- We are able to measure the children’s progress via Lab-on-Line and through their school reports. Anecdotally, we see marked improvements in the students’ ability to engage with activities and use concepts and solutions learned in earlier exercises to solve new ones. This ability was previously non-existent. We are currently producing a video library showing the progress of learners.
We would really like our kids and volunteers to be able to say with pride: “Lesedi, where we learn through fun”.